- All known food allergies are posted in each child’s classroom.
- Allergies are reviewed regularly (by parents and volunteers) to ensure accuracy. If volunteers have any doubts about giving a snack food to a child with allergies, they will page the child’s parent or talk with service supervisor in Children’s Ministry.
- If a child accidentally ingests an allergen, parents will be notified immediately.
- If a child arrives with their own snack due to allergies, they will only be allowed to eat that snack, nothing else.
- If a child brings their own snack, we verify with the parent that the snack does not contain nuts.
- Nut items are prohibited in all Sunday School classrooms to protect those with allergies.
- Children with food allergies are monitored carefully during snack time. Toddlers like to explore and are known to snag food from other children, off the table and from the floor. We will do our best to not allow this to happen.
- We have children with varying degrees of food allergies. For their safety, if a child with a food allergy touches something they are allergic to, they will be asked to immediately, thoroughly wash their hands with soap and water (not hand sanitizer). We will notify the parents if this happens.
- Some children react to allergens touching their skin. We will thoroughly wipe down tables after snack time. If a teacher touches a known allergen, they will wash with soap and water.
- If a child with allergies begins to vomit or develops a rash or has swelling of the face, hands or feet, parents will be paged immediately.
- If a child is having trouble breathing we will call 911, then contact the childrens ministry service supervisor and the child’s parents.